Jeremy Clarkson in 2015: Top Gear Controversy, Departure, and a New Beginning
The year 2015 marked a significant turning point in the career of Jeremy Clarkson, the British television presenter, and journalist. This comprehensive breakdown explores his background, the controversial departure from “Top Gear,” and the subsequent journey to new ventures.
Background and Early Career
Understanding Jeremy Clarkson’s journey to television stardom:
- Early Life: Jeremy Charles Robert Clarkson was born in 1960 in Doncaster, England. He started his career as a local journalist.
- Top Gear: In 1988, Clarkson began hosting the motoring program “Top Gear,” eventually turning it into a global phenomenon.
Controversial Departure from “Top Gear”
The incident that led to his departure:
- March 2015: Clarkson was suspended and later dismissed by the BBC for an altercation with a “Top Gear” producer, Oisin Tymon.
- Fan Outcry: His departure sparked a significant public outcry and petitions calling for his reinstatement.
New Ventures and “The Grand Tour”
Jeremy Clarkson’s journey post-“Top Gear”:
- Amazon Prime: In 2015, Clarkson, along with Richard Hammond and James May, signed a deal with Amazon Prime Video to create a new motoring show called “The Grand Tour.”
- Global Success: “The Grand Tour” premiered in 2016 and was praised for its production quality and humor, further solidifying Clarkson’s status as a beloved TV host.
Continued Influence and Cultural Impact
The lasting impact of Jeremy Clarkson:
- Motoring Journalism: Clarkson’s wit, humor, and unfiltered commentary on cars and motoring culture continue to shape the field of automotive journalism.
- Television Legacy: His work on “Top Gear” and “The Grand Tour” has left an indelible mark on television entertainment.